out of space on /root

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Mar 13 15:50:07 UTC 2017

Liam Proven schreef op 13-03-2017 16:16:
> On 13 March 2017 at 16:02, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know why you are comparing yourself to me :p.
>
> I am finding your points interesting mainly in the contrast between
> them and my own.
>
> For instance, I previously worked at Red Hat. It has many passionate
> Vi users. (Vi, Vim, Elvis, whatever, doesn't matter to me. Probably
> mostly Vim.) They were generally utterly baffled at my hatred of it.
>
> For them, the power of the tool outweighed its clunky UI. They
> regarded the UI as a small thing to climb over to get to that power.
>
> I don't want the power. I write English, not code. No amount of syntax
> highlighting or anything matters to me. UI is *all*.

I understand.

> And yet you've raised something I have never even heard of as a
> preference before. That intrigues me.

People running Windows do not run into this preference because they
always have it, so they don't know the difference. Although I must say
that TextEdit from the Mac, also does fall in the line with my "I do not
like that" editors in how the text frame is contradicted with the top of
the window.

But if this preferene wouldn't exist, at all, then Word Processors would
also not show (by default) any page borders, and of course they do. So
you can say the preference is pretty universal for page editing.

> https://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=&advanced=1&author=liam+proven&date=the+dawn+of+time&results_per_page=50
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/search?query=%22liam+proven%22&date=all&type=&full_category=&per_page=48&sort=relevance1&advance_search=false
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Liam-Proven/e/B00A2ANB6S

That's pretty nice.

> Well, up to a point. There is of course a ton of bloat, but for
> instance, MS Word has an outliner. Almost no other editor has that
> these days.

I don't know what an outliner is? A vertical bar that shows the position
of the text (or where you want it to end) on both sides?

>> That said of course I do not need markup in a regular text editor,
>> that's
>> the whole point of these things
>
> Is it? I suspect that is not a universally-held view.

Well if you did have some markup you would need to save it in a certain
text format. Other than ** and __ and // for markup language, the only
other 'universal' format has been rtf (I don't like markdown myself).

Other than that, you'll end up with wiki (which is my preference over
something like Markdown) but you'd have a bit of a wysiwyg editor saving
in wiki syntax (if only they could agree on it).

I think the Mediawiki syntax is not good and it is the biggest one, but
this leads to people not wanting to adopt that format for their own
usage, creating all kinds of different things on their own. Pretty much
every wiki has a different syntax because that of Mediawiki is so bad so
everyone wants something else.

Hence, no uniform standard.

I would absolutely love a text editor or a wysiwyg editor saving in wiki
format, but it won't arise I'm afraid any time soon.

Other than that you would end up with something like WordPad right.

>> not distract me from the code/text by having an imposing text frame
>> and or
>> border display that draws more attention than the text you are looking
>> at.
>> It is just graphical design principles from my point of view.
>
> And that itself is an interesting position. It's never come up before
> in my discussions on the subject.

Right, thanks.

The people of Kate were interested in seeing an alternative mockup, but
I was never able to create one for them yet. They just wanted to
visually see what I had in mind, but that was a long time ago...

> I think our definitions of clarity are very different. When I am
> writing, I barely notice anything but the text.
>
> I think this photo is public and won't require a FB account:
>
> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153943553046691&set=pb.608866690.-2207520000.1489418112.&type=3&theater

It needs a login :p.

If you can get the akamai link I would be able to see it.

> Menu bar, scroll bars, nothing else. Not even page borders. That's the
> way I tend to like it.

I'd have to see before I can comment on anything else. Maybe I would
like your thing as well, there is no absolute truth in these things, but
it depends on other factors, such as other visual elements, how they
impose itself on each other, etc.