out of space on /root

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 13:43:20 UTC 2017

On 13 March 2017 at 13:42, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
> Kate has no spacing between the text and the surrounding frame, making it
> hard for me to focus on the text: it doesn't look like a page at all.
> Windows 10 Wordpad does the same: it cuts off the top of the page, for no
> reason, and makes me impossible to really get the feel for the page.
>
> Many other editors also do this, Gedit I think, and the editor from Mint as
> well (xed) although that's the nicest one I think.
>
> Now you can say Notepad also has a thin border, but it has at least *a*
> border (some distance to the text) whereas others haven't, and it fits in
> with the design, or something.
>
> I just really can't stand this bad design, when just a small spacing would
> solve all of these issues for me, and they don't do it.

Interesting. I have never even noticed this, myself. I not only don't
care, but I think that I prefer it that way. I configure MS Word with
vertical toolbars and the page zoomed until there is almost no border
to left and right, for the maximum amount of visible text. I move the
toolbars to left and right sides of the window for more vertical
space, or turn them off altogether.

I want to see as much text as I can and as little wasted space.

I find it interesting that apparently this is at odds with your preference.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com