questions re: usb drive. fat32, linux file system

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Wed Jun 21 06:23:18 UTC 2017

Ralf Mardorf schreef op 21-06-2017 7:26:
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 23:56:18 +0200, Xen wrote:
>> People recommend the "noatime" mount option to reduce metadata updates
>> to SSDs. All SSDs are subject to wear.
>
> That's idiotic. It's like buying a car and to park it, to avoid the
> side effects of driving. I'm using my SSD and if I've got a car, I'm
> using it, too.

That's because SSD technology is a flawed technology.

That's not a fault of the recommendations.

Most SSDs will become faulty if you write too much to them.

Ie. if you wrote your entire SSD with (random data) every day, it
probably wouldn't last longer than a month or two?

The Kingston SSDNow mSata drives for instance. The 60GB has a "Total
Bytes Written" of 218TB.

This implies that after 218000 / 60 = 3633 writes it ceases functioning.
That is a lot more than 2 months. At the same time if you did really
heavy writing (ie. writing an image to the disk twice or thrice a day)
it wouldn't last longer than 3 years.

This one has a sequential write of 520 MB/s. So writing 218TB takes 116
hours. You can brick this device in less than 5 days.

Just something to be aware of. A virus could destroy your SSD in 5 days
worth of time.