Lenovo Thinkpad and SSD - part two

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jun 8 03:23:30 UTC 2017

At Thu, 8 Jun 2017 11:55:57 +1000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 08:08:06 +0200
> Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
>

> > Don't do this; you wanted the root system to be on the SSD.
>
> Exactly what I had in mind but an unexpected complication has occurred. The
> Ebay seller has replaced the HDD with a SSD. I had expected both.
>
> So, I have two questions:
>
> I have about 100Gb to spare on the SSD, which is about three times more than
> my current Raspberry pi desktop. I have one application that I sometimes run
> under Windows, so Windows will have to stay.
>
> Are there any precautions that I should be aware of before I install Linux
> alongside Windows? I mean precautions specific to the SSD.

SSDs are (as the name implies) Solid State *disk*s.  As far as the *softwae*
is concerned, it is just a hard drive, just one without any "rotating rust" --
it is non-moving silicon, not rotating platters of aluminum covered in a
ferious oxide based compound.  I have a "SSD" in the form of a 2.5" SATA
device in my Lenovo R500.  I run CentOS 6 and it considers it "/dev/sda".

> I have several disk drives that I've salvaged from dead laptops, two of
> these are housed and have a USB interface. I'm wondering how I might best
> use one to make up for the limited space on the SSD. My first thought was to
> put my book library and my seldom used document directory on one. Can anyone
> suggest a better idea?

Well, if you do this, you'll probably want to automount them, since they
probably won't be permanently attached to the machine. Otherwise, sure.
Anything that is not needed most of the time can live on whateve removable
storage is handy.  Either external drives in USB (or Firewire or E-Sata)
enclosure or your basic USB thumb drive.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933