How to get the systemd resolver to resolve local (i.e. unqalified) names?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 17:53:25 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
> Tom H schreef op 04-06-2017 16:19:
>>
>> I'd had to re-read the "resolv.conf" man page to be sure but, IIRC, if
>> "/etc/resolv.conf" doesn't have a search or domain entry, the local
>> system's domain is searched for short hostnames by default.
>
> But if the upstream server doesn't search for it based on short names, it is
> not supposed to work.

>From "man resolv.conf"

<begin>
search Search list for host-name lookup
The search list is normally determined from the local domain name; by
default, it contains only the local domain name. This may be changed by
listing the desired domain search path following the search keyword with
spaces or tabs separating the names. Resolver queries having fewer than
ndots dots (default is 1) in them will be attempted using each component
of the search path in turn until a match is found.
</end>

If you don't have a dns server on your lan that's directly or
transitively authoritative for that domain, you'll get a failure
because the query'll be forwarded off your network.