How to get the systemd resolver to resolve local (i.e. unqalified) names?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 14:06:31 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 8:18 AM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 08:00:33AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>>> On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 06:19:00AM -0400, Tom H wrote:

>> Are you going to file a report?
>
> I have an account on the bug reporting system so I will do so.

Good. Please post the bug number here. 17.04 uses 232 and 17.10 uses
233 so I'm going to try to replicate your problem on 233 because, as
with many upstream projects, you might be told "try the latest
version."

>>> As a temporary fix I will add 'search zbmc.eu' to
>>> /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head, at least this won't get lost
>>> over reboots though it's a bit of a bodge.
>>
>> It's a good workaround until resolved fixes itself. I don't think that
>> dhclient and resolvconf are to blame.
>
> But its dhclient->resolvconf that writes /etc/resolv.conf isn't it?
> On 16.04 they manage to put 'search zbmc.eu' there whereas in 17.04
> they don't. I think the DHCP server must be doing the right thing as
> otherwise 16.04 woudn't pick up the domain.

I usually disable resolvconf so I'm not familiar with the default
setups. From where did dhclient/resolvconf get the search/domain
settings on 16.04? From "/etc/network/interfaces" or from the dhcp
server?