How to get the systemd resolver to resolve local (i.e. unqalified) names?

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sun Jun 4 14:05:52 UTC 2017

Tom H schreef op 04-06-2017 15:56:
> On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
>> Tom H schreef op 04-06-2017 13:43:
>>>
>>> There's bug somewhere. I'm surprised that setting a search domain in
>>> resolved's config doesn't result in a domain or search entry in
>>> resolv.conf. It shouldn't be necessary but it looks like it is.
>>
>> Aye, the DNS resolution is supposed to need the search directive,
>>
>> but I guess the resolve resolutin is supposed not to depend on that.
>
> resolved has a "Domain=" directive so, even if it doesn't depend on
> it, it should respect that setting - and it isn't.
>
> So this is the main "bug" along with the fact that systemd-resolve and
> getent (when the latter uses the "resolve" NSS module) don't need a
> domain or search entry in "/etc/resolv.conf".

I mean to say that utilities like "host" and "dig" naturally would come
up with other answers than nsswitch would (getent) because they don't
depend on nsswitch.

Instead they depend exclusively (in this sense) on /etc/resolv.conf.

So you have split resolution because getent now has more capabilities
due to the "resolve" line.