How to get the systemd resolver to resolve local (i.e. unqalified) names?

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sun Jun 4 13:59:24 UTC 2017

Tom H schreef op 04-06-2017 15:40:

> So getent works with the libnss_resolve module but not with the
> libnss_dns module.

No, the libnss_dns module just doesn't work without "search".

> So "host" fails with both "resolve" and "dns" (previously it was
> failing with "resolve" and returning).

It doesn't use nsswitch.

> The problem seems to be that host and dig can only resolve short
> ("zero-dotted? LOL) hostnames if there's a domain or search entry in
> "/etc/resolv.conf"; and it might or might not be related to the fact
> that LLMNR cannot be turned off

Yes.

But systemd-resolved apparently requires the search directive when
accessed through 127.0.0.53 as it expects these queries to conform to
the /etc/resolv.conf specification.

The problem is that host doesn't go through that,
but a command like "ping" probably would.

I mean the reverse: host goes directly to /etc/resolv.conf,
while "ping" probably uses /etc/nsswitch.conf.

So most ordinary programs would work, just not programs that have their
own individual DNS resolving.

Thus, programs that talk DNS directly fail to work.