How to get the systemd resolver to resolve local (i.e. unqalified) names?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 11:43:05 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 6:17 AM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 12:00:54PM +0200, Xen wrote:

>> Apparently at this point there *is* a local "dns server" but I'm not sure
>> (the .53 address you've given).
>
> Yes, it's the systemd replacement for the dnsmasq that used to be run
> by Network Manager to provide local (as in 'this system only')
> cacheing of DNS.

The NM developers were planning  - and may have implemented - giving a
"dns=systemd-resolved" as well as the others (like Ubuntu's default
"dns=dnsmasq").

>> I can only say: at least TRY to see if the search directive makes a
>> difference, so you know more.
>
> Adding 'search zbmc.eu' to /etc/resolv.conf fixes the problem, I can
> look up unqualified names.
>
> All I need to do now is work out how to get the systemd-resolve
> configuration to do it for me! :-)

There's bug somewhere. I'm surprised that setting a search domain in
resolved's config doesn't result in a domain or search entry in
resolv.conf. It shouldn't be necessary but it looks like it is.