Deg Error

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Jul 31 23:45:22 UTC 2017

Ralf Mardorf schreef op 31-07-2017 23:46:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 21:34:47 +0100, Grizzly wrote:
>> 31 July 2017  at 21:21, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Re: Deg Error (at least in part)

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> it might be that lshw is compiled with something your CPU doesn't
>>> support. One reason that I dropped my around 10 years old Athlon and
>>> bought a new Celeron were core dumps, related to missing sse > 2.
>>> This
>>> doesn't affect packages from Ubuntu repositories, however, some
>>> software requires sse > 2. You might experience a similar issue.
>>>
>>> You could either rebuild the lshw package
>>
>> how?
>>
>>> an universal tool at all and use dmidecode, cat /proc/*, lspci and
>>> Co.
>>
>> Odd thing happened, I ran
>> sudo lspci -vv -nn
>> and got what I wanted (well too much, but greping not enough)
>>
>> BUT
>>
>> as my old
>> sudo lshw -c network
>> was still in history I accidentally rerun that command and now it
>> worked
>>
>> nothing else done, not connected so no updates so really really
>> confused to why and how
>
> I don't know, AFAIK segfaults are related to memory that isn't
> allocated to an app, this state might change. I'm even not sure if the
> segfaults I got for the CPU missing a version of sse are related to sse
> or simply an additional memory related issue caused it. Instead of
> guessing without the knowledge, a coder should chime in ;).

I am not entirely sure but the first is correct (they are often called
page faults) and result from pointers going invalid or being invalid or
never being recognised correctly (such as a zero pointer) and a missing
SSE feature would most likely cause a different error but I would have
to compile some code somewhere to test it :p.

So I'd have to compile an SSE 4.2 instruction for a 32 bit RISC platform
that doesn't have it, but this in itself would be impossible :p. So I
don't really know how to test that :p.