Install to external (I think) SSD

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sat Jul 29 21:58:16 UTC 2017

Grizzly schreef op 29-07-2017 23:14:
> 29 July 2017  at 19:04, Xen wrote:
> Re: Install to external (I think) S (at least in part)
>
> Update:
>
> SSD was installed as the only disk (internal) then had 16.04.2
> installed, it
> was then moved to an external USB encloser, but then the MacBookPro
> cant see it
> at boot time, we then tried an install from a USB stick to that same
> extermal
> SSD (something else option), again MacBookPro cant see it at boot, and
> it
> screwed the mac's boot with a Grub fail (fixed now)

Well I know nothing about MacBooks.

Isn't it weird that you can boot from USB stick but not USB disk?

I assume you are using the Option key to load the startup manager?

And you say it doesn't load.

MacBooks use EFI.

I do not know if you are currently using EFI but here is a post on
enabling it for a MacBook Pro for Debian, which should also work for
Ubuntu:

https://glandium.org/blog/?p=2830

You apparently need to create a small partition anywhere on the SSD of
some 9MB for the EFI if you do not already have it, and it has to be a
HFS+ partition.

Then you basically run grub-install on it which will create a necessary
boot file. Then you need to compile something and with a few additional
steps you have an EFI partition with the required files that will be
recognised by the Mac.

Provided you have to use EFI.

You could do all of this from the "try Ubuntu" part of the installer.

You would need to install some additional packages such as
"build-essential" to be able to compile.

If you installed EFI image you would already have an EFI partition but
not suitable for a Mac.

That's all I can say about this.