Transfer file from remote machine to local machine

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Jul 17 11:07:50 UTC 2017

Karl Auer schreef op 17-07-2017 12:41:
> On Sun, 2017-07-16 at 18:45 +0200, Xen wrote:
>> What SSH really misses is a way to "get" a file where you are.
>
> Isn't scp exactly that? If you have ssh access to  system, you have scp
> access to it (modulo file permissions at each end of course).
>
> Having that built into ssh itself would IMHO break the model of "do one
> thing well".

I know and I guess you can always find the client with $SSH_CLIENT
(didn't know that at first) but otherwise it can be a bit annoying.

In other words, you *can* copy back to $SSH_CLIENT but of course it
needs another login.

Personally I wouldn't mind a little more "flesh" to the whole SSH thing,
but whatever.

The X protocol allows for this, you know. But without X, you are the
proverbial 'screwed' for instance in terms of copy and paste.

So you can.... you can run a GVim session even from Windows (using
XMing) and you well have copy and paste just fine (honestly, it works)
but in raw terminals using regular Vi you are stuck with plain copy and
paste using text selection in the terminal window???

I wish we had that thing for regular Vim.

X-forwarding also works with a tunnel but yeah. PuTTY clients and other
clients can set it up automatically.

But I don't like GVim and it looks bad in a window on Windows at least.
So this very simple thing, we don't have?

Regards.