Strange behaviour of the "cd" command

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 04:39:05 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Dr Rainer Woitok
<rainer.woitok at gmail.com> wrote:
> Joel,
>
> On Thursday, 2017-07-13 06:59:58 +0900, you wrote:

>> Also, I have vague memories of dot itself being one of the pattern
>> matching characters in one of the shells,
>
> No.  Dot is one of the  special characters  used in REGULAR EXPRESSIONS,
> but not in SHELL patterns.

Heh.  My first year of using Unix, I couldn't remember whether I
was working in sed or the shell. Had to wait for Perl to finally figure
out regular expressions.

Still, I have this vague memory of a shell that tried to combine too
much of either sed or awk into its functionality -- not one of those
anyone remembers now. Might have actually been an alternative
(ahem) to MSDOS's command.com. Or I might have just been
confused. I spend a lot of my time confused.

>> Ultimately, some professors did not recommend csh for scripts. Too
>> many things you couldn't predict reliably.
>
> They were  perfectly right.   Just search  the web for  "Csh Programming
> Considered Harmful".
>
>> ksh is a descendant of csh.
>
> No.   The descendant of "csh"  was called "tcsh".   The Korn Shell is in
> fact Bourne Shell compatible in that you can run Bourne Shell scripts in
> it, but whether this makes it a descendant of the Bourne Shell is debat-
> able.   Just by its  name the Bash Shell  ("Bourne Again Shell") regards
> itself a Bourne Shell descendant,  even though it added  plenty of feat-
> ures already found in the Korn Shell.

That's what they say, isn't it. There's another point of confusion. I keep
thinking "corn" instead of "David Korn's extension of Stephen Bourne's
shell with a lot of influence from csh".

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with my bare cast.
http://defining-computers.blogspot.com/2017/06/reinventing-computers.html

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html