Linux-friendly laptops

Owen Thomas owen.paul.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 10:32:28 UTC 2017

Unfortunately, it seems that I had been sold on a Dell Latitude E5570
laptop with Ubuntu 14.4 "preinstalled". When I tried updating to 16.4, I
lost my sound. I can get it back by running alsamixer from a terminal and
activating the speaker channel manually but I have to do this every time I
restart my laptop. I seem to be having problems installing Adobe Flash
plugin.

I think I have a Latitude E5570 that has an Ubuntu somewhere between 14.4
and 16.4. I fear that I won't be able to upgrade to the next LTS.

<sob>