Linux-friendly laptops

Guang Chao guang.chao.1974 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 23:39:45 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 6:37 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 24/06/17 16:24, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> >
> >> I'm looking at getting (yet anothre) replacement laptop and this time
> >> I'd like to buy one that works well with Linux.
> >
> > I've always used HP's Elitebooks for Ubuntu. Very reliable, very easy to
> > install & no hassle setting up. It just does the business.
> >
> > Recommended.
> >
> Normally I'd agree totally.  My last two laptops were both HPs - old,
> but stable and reliably running Xubuntu for a long time.  The newer
> one was stolen, hence the original need for a replacement.
>
> The older one no longer runs with Xubuntu 16.04, which is odd because
> before the newer one was stolen, it ran just fine.  Now it hobbles
> along on the newer one's original Windows disk, only it can't run
> right because MS doesn't allow its Windows to run in new hardware
> without permission.  I'm thinking about that.
>
> Meanwhile I have totally given up on the ASUS.  It turns out it has
> some annoying hardware issues I just don't care to deal with, plus it
> weighs a ton (ok, 12+ lbs).

I am a big Asus fan.  All my laptops since 2007 have been Asus and all are
functioning to this day.  Maybe it depends on the model.

For Linux friendly, I think just make sure the model is out for at least a
year.  Most issues are with drivers and such.

Guang <http://javadevnotes.com/java-sort-array-examples/>