Linux-friendly laptops

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 22:37:03 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/06/17 16:24, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at getting (yet anothre) replacement laptop and this time
>> I'd like to buy one that works well with Linux.
>
> I've always used HP's Elitebooks for Ubuntu. Very reliable, very easy to
> install & no hassle setting up. It just does the business.
>
> Recommended.

Normally I'd agree totally.  My last two laptops were both HPs - old,
but stable and reliably running Xubuntu for a long time.  The newer
one was stolen, hence the original need for a replacement.

The older one no longer runs with Xubuntu 16.04, which is odd because
before the newer one was stolen, it ran just fine.  Now it hobbles
along on the newer one's original Windows disk, only it can't run
right because MS doesn't allow its Windows to run in new hardware
without permission.  I'm thinking about that.

Meanwhile I have totally given up on the ASUS.  It turns out it has
some annoying hardware issues I just don't care to deal with, plus it
weighs a ton (ok, 12+ lbs).

I found a nicer, newer model of the 8740w than the one I had that was
stolen refurbished and for a decent price.  I've never liked refurb
machines before because I was told more than once that refurbished
means the manufacturer fixed the reported defects and re-shipped after
verification testing against ONLY those defects.  Hopefully this one
works out, and the dealer offers a 1 year warranty, so I hope it works
out.

It looked nice on Amazon....

Thanks, all.
MR