Can not set external monitor to left of internal monitor on ubuntu 17.04

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 13:07:27 UTC 2017

On 10 July 2017 at 13:49, Caner Aydın <caneraydinbey at gmail.com> wrote:
>  - When i connect external, and when i go to display settings, the
>    external is in right of internal.
>
>    I change in this settings by dragging, then apply to set to the left
>    of the internal.
>
>    But it makes black external and i have to plug out and plugin again
>    to be able to use external and it is again on the right of internal.
>
>    this is xml of monitors
>
>    sudo gedit ~/.config/monitors.xml

Have you previously used sudo to edit that file? If so then it will be
owned by root which may be an issue. Set it back to yourself using
sudo chown  $USER:$USER ~/.config/monitors.xml

Also using sudo with gedit (you should never do that, use gksudo with
graphical applications) will have made various other files owned by
root so you might be better to restore all your files ownership with

sudo chown  -R $USER:$USER ~

Colin