nfs on 17.04

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 09:04:38 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>> Little Girl wrote:

>>> Shameless plug:
>>>
>>> https://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/network/nfshowto/
>
>> :)
>>
>> A much better howto than the official documentation!
>
> Thanks.

You're welcome. Maybe you should "spring clean" your "samba" page to
bring it up to this level if you're in the mood for extra work :)

>> 1) "sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server nfs-common rpcbind":
>>
>> "sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server" is enough because
>> "nfs-kernel-server" depends on "nfs-common" and "nfs-common" depends
>> on "rpcbind", so the latter two will be installed with the first
>> command and because then the latter two will be marked as installed
>> automatically and be removed or be marked for removal if/when you
>> remove "nfs-kernel-server".
>
> Interesting. I never bothered to check that. Sloppy of me. It's fixed
> now, and the comment for that step now lets the user know those other
> two will be automatically installed.

No worries.

>> 2) "sudo dpkg-reconfigure rpcbind":
>
>> This doesn't do anything
>
>> root at localhost ~ # grep rpcbind /var/cache/debconf/*
>> root at localhost ~ #
>
> I suspected as much, but wasn't sure. It's removed now.

IIRC, "sudo dpkg-reconfigure portmap" used to work.

>> 3) "kdesudo ..." and "gksudo ...":
>>
>> You'll have to keep an eye on future releases because, once they
>> default on Wayland, this won't be possible - unless Ubuntu sets up
>> the polkit infrastructure to do so.
>
> Okay. Thanks for the heads up.

I expect that Ubuntu'll try to make it work with wayland; it's having
to adapt synaptic (it may already have done so for synaptic; I'm not
using wayland and I've never used synaptic).

>> 4) "sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart"
>
>> "sudo service nfs-kernel-server restart" so as not to inject any
>> envvars into the nfs server.
>
> Thanks. It's fixed now.

You're welcome.

> I also fixed these in the NFS Use Case page, which is a sister page
> to that one and shows a real world example of NFS in use.

Just looked at it. Nice.

I'd forgotten one thing in my previous email.

AFAIR (it's been a while since I've used tecwrappers), there's no
point in setting up "/etc/hosts.{allow,deny}" on the client system;
but it doesn't do any harm given that it'll be a no-op.