How do you get 16.04 to boot?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Jul 2 09:55:31 UTC 2017

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 10:47:36 +0200, Xen wrote:
>To be honest here: you have a systemd configuration issue, Grub
>actually does work, and if you could make your upstart choice the
>default your problems would immediately be solved.
>
>I would appreciate someone who could point this user to making the
>upstart entry the default boot entry.

Hi,

"Permanent switch back to upstart

Install the upstart-sysv package, which will remove ubuntu-standard and
systemd-sysv (but should not remove anything else -- if it does,
yell!), and run sudo update-initramfs -u. After that, grub's "Advanced
options" menu will have a corresponding "Ubuntu, with Linux ...
(systemd)" entry where you can do an one-time boot with systemd.

If you want to switch back to systemd, install the systemd-sysv and
ubuntu-standard packages." -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers#Permanent_switch_back_to_upstart

I don't know if this works, but even if it should work, I don't
recommend to switch to upstart. IMO it's better to troubleshoot and fix
the systemd issue.

The package still is available for xenial,
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=xenial-updates&searchon=names&keywords=upstart-sysv ,
but not for yakkety, so a release upgrade would become tricky.

Regards,
Ralf