How do you get 16.04 to boot?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Jul 2 06:52:55 UTC 2017

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 14:45:50 -0700, Pastor JW wrote:
>That is closer to what is wrong rather than logging, although I can't
>find error messages in the log.  14.04 used to boot fine but the
>upgrade to 16.04 no longer does that.  Grub evidently no longer works
>for some reason.  Using the escape key to get advanced options, only
>the one that says "upstart" will work but that is always a manual
>thing instead of a boot script.  I've tried everything in the recovery
>menu to try and fix it but nothing. There is evidently no working
>bootloader anymore in 16.04.

Please, reply to the mailing list.

I nearly missed this reply, because it was in the wrong folder of my
MUA.

I'm sending my reply to the mailing list ;).

You described that a disk check starts to run, when using a boot menu
entry without upstart, however, just in case upload /boot/grub/grub.cfg
to e.g. https://pastebin.com/ and post the link to the mailing list.