Why do all the sudo? [was Re: Software updater no longer functional]

Charles IRONS irons.charles at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 08:47:29 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2017-01-28 at 06:05 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 09:33:46 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> >
> > sudo parameters can be a mess, too, especially since the shell
> > blocks
> > you from checking wildcard results unless you do get yourself an
> > interactive shell (via sudo -i, etc.).
> Is "etc." for
>
> $ sudo sh -c "ls -hAl /home/foo/.bar*"
>
> ?
>

> > It's better than doing the same thing with su, but not really
> > perfect.
> Why is using "sudo -i" better, than using "su"? Resp. "sudo sh -c"
> better than "su -c"? Regarding environment variables by default "su"
> usually does the same on all Linux distros, "sudo" doesn't. At least
> in
> regards to portability "su" is the better choice.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>
> Hi All
I have watched this discussion for a while and admire the knowledge and skill of all participants.
As a retired end-user I aim to only use GUI tools on my desktop.
There may be advantage in using terminal commands for some problems. What sources could I study to gradually learn more?
Thanks for your guidance.
--
Our preferred address is
irons.charles at gmail.com