unresponsive screen graphics

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sat Jan 28 08:20:41 UTC 2017

Hello Ralf,

Friday, January 27, 2017, 9:36:15 PM, Ralf wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 21:20:32 -0800, rikona wrote:
>>> Have you power cycled the system?
>>
>>I did not turn off the power completely - I assumed that would not
>>make a difference.

> In regards to Ubuntu software issues rebooting with or without shutdown
> should be enough, in regards to hardware issues it isn't.

> Most likely it doesn't make a difference regarding the issue you
> experience, but you never know, it doesn't harm to disconnect from power
> for a while. Usually (but not necessarily) the power switch of the power
> supply does disconnect, but even a shutdown doesn't. Capacitors could
> keep charge for minutes, but for computers it usually is enough to wait
> a few seconds, before connecting with power again, to get rid of power
> related hardware issues.

> Could you post a screenshot?

Wild, wild, wild.... I was setting up to get a screenshot and very
rapidly did a whole bunch of large copies from Nemo to other Nemo
windows. I got the often small window 'preparing to copy" which can
take a few minutes to clear, then all five of the Nemo windows went
gray and stopped responding. I waited a long time and they didn't
recover so I decided to just stop them in htop. I think I was stopping
the third window when they all disappeared [maybe that was the hung
window?].

BUT - when I went to start them again I noticed that the long standing
problem graphics I have been talking about were GONE!!! So, maybe
there was something about Nemo that was causing it? I had never
stopped a hung Nemo via a CLI or htop before - that was new. Anyway,
by accident, I seemed to have solved something that has survived
multiple reboots, and I have no clue why it went away. I don't want to
reboot just yet but I hope it does not again reappear when I do
reboot. I'd like to consider this closed, but if it does come back
I'll mention it again.

I do appreciate your responses in helping to solve this, and if anyone
has a clue why stopping a hung Nemo may have fixed it, please tell
me...

--

 rikona