More information on Server issues

Dr. Mikeal Hughes macmikeal at me.com
Thu Jan 26 18:46:11 UTC 2017

> On Jan 26, 2017, at 12:03 PM, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 09:08:07AM -0600, Dr. Mikeal Hughes wrote:
>> I am trying to find out some specific configuration for OpenSSH. I
>> recently had my Ubuntu Server crash. Turns out my backup the boot
>> sector was the wrong type UEFI instead of BIOS so I couldn't restore
>> and get it to work. So I had to reinstall the Server plus decided to
>> upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04. Anyway I have 4 issues I need to resolve.
>> 1. When I try to SSH into the server I get unable, to connect with
>> server, please try again later.
>
> I already made a suggestion in your previous thread about how you could
> get more information on this.

Let me see if I can find that thread.

>> 2. For some reason setting at the Server I can only do things if I am
>> the root user. Sudo doesn't work.  My account is an administrator.
>
> What exactly does sudo say?

I am not in front of the Server right now. But basically says I am not a Sudoer.

>> 3. Even from root I can't get to the root directory by cd / to be able
>> to edit my php.ini file to increase maximum upload limit for
>> wordpress.  I am thinking I need to run chmod on the root directory
>> and set my permissions to say 755 to get to the php.ini file(?).
>
> That sounds quite confused; php.ini should not be in your actual root
> directory.  Normally the "root" visible from an FTP or a web server is
> not actually the root of the server's file system, but a "virtual root"
> somewhere underneath that.  If you're poking at it directly then you
> need to determine where that is.

I was thinking when I looked at my backup drive I found the php.ini file in the root. I don’t know the command line command to find it. I remember someone told me the command three years ago but don’t remember.

>> I am not sure how to put my user macmike in a group where I can use
>> sudo.
>
> I already gave you instructions for that in your previous thread.

I have to find that previous post.