Upgrade problem after system failure, help please...

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 26 08:35:11 UTC 2017

On 01/25/2017 11:36 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 23:30:17 -0500, Peter Silva wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 16:19:40 -0600, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>> I replaced it with an older drive and did a restore from my backup.
>>
>> I was successful in getting my home directories recovered. The system
>> reported that updates were needed, not surprising.
>
> You only restored /home, not the complete install?
>
>>> 1 not fully installed or removed.
>> try:
>>
>> sudo apt-get update
>> sudo apt-get upgrade
>> sudo apt-get install -f
>>
>> It might fix it self after a couple of tries.
>
> First trying to fix the issue might be more promising.
>
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt install -f
> sudo dpkg --configure -a
> sudo apt full-upgrade
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

THANKS for the response Ralf...

sudo apt-get update reports:

286 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.

running sudo apt list --upgradable list the 286 packages

sudo apt install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 286 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up util-linux (2.27.1-6ubuntu3.2) ...
insserv: script hwclock.sh: service hwclock already provided!
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing package util-linux (--configure):
  util-linux

sudo dpkg --configure -a
Setting up util-linux (2.27.1-6ubuntu3.2) ...
insserv: script hwclock.sh: service hwclock already provided!
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing package util-linux (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent processing triggers for systemd:
  systemd depends on util-linux (>= 2.27.1); however:
   Package util-linux is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package systemd (--configure):
  dependency problems - leaving triggers unprocessed
  util-linux
  systemd

sudo apt full-upgrade

lists the 286 packages  and ends with an error much like that reported
above...

How do I identify the package that is reported as not fully installed or
removed? Can it be reinstalled or removed?

Regards,
Jay

--
Jay Ridgley