"Massively" slow down the mouse -- Ubuntu 14.04

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Jan 26 01:39:33 UTC 2017

On 01/25/2017 08:24 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-01-25 at 15:43 -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
>> I have a user who wants to slow the mouse down slower than the
>> slowest setting in the preferences.  Is this possible?  Her problem
>> is she is not able to *precisely* position the mouse when editing
>> text.  And no, she does not want to use the keyboard to position the
>> cursor.  Is there something she (or I as the admistrator) can do?
> Clean the mouse underneath. Sometimes inaccuracy is due to hair, dust
> and grime mucking with the opticals underneath.
>
> Try some different mousing surfaces. Inaccurate mousing is often a
> symptom of a surface that is hostile to optical mice.
/snip/

Maybe the person doesn't work well with a mouse, or maybe there is
actually a problem with the mouse or the surface it runs on.
I have used trackballs for about 20 years--I hate computer mice. I like
the Kensington Orbit Optical, which now seems to have become
somewhat more expensive. There are also Kensington trackballs with extra
features, but I don't need or want them. Take a look--
he might just be happier with one of these. Have a ball!

--doug