Printer Problem

Peter petergoggin at bigpond.com
Wed Jan 25 02:41:02 UTC 2017

On 24/01/17 17:58, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Maybe you should tell us the printer type - is it a combined printer /
> scanner? Or do you have a separate scanner, like Peter Silva presumed?
> If it is a combined device, it would be a bit strange if you can see the
> scanner and not the printer because they would share the USB ID.
>
>> If the usb ports had been assigned to the virtual machine on the T400
>> then I do not understand how ubuntu can see the usb scanner. It doe
>> not make any difference whether the virtual machine is running or
>> not.
> If the XP guest can see the printer and the host can not see it, the USB
> ID of the printer must be assinged to the VM - unless it also has a wifi
> interface by which you can access the printer over your LAN. But if the
> VM isn't running, the USB ID of the printer is assinged to the host, so
> the printer should be visible in Ubuntu. Please check it with the
> command
>
> lsusb
>
> in a terminal, with and without the VM running. If a device is assinged
> to a VM, it would only be visible in Ubuntu while the VM is not running.
>
> Then there is still the question, if there is a printer driver needed
> for Ubuntu and if it is installed on both machines. For some Epson
> printers you may need an extra driver from the manufacturer. And I
> remember that there were problems with the hplip package of some
> previous Ubuntu releases several years ago, where you had to download a
> more recent version from the hplip download page to make some HP
> printers work.
>

> Nils

I tries lusb with and without the virtual machine running and got
exactly the same result in both cases.
If the usb ports have somehow been assigned to the virtual machine how
do I unassign them.
By the way the scanner is visible to both the ubuntu machine and the
virtual machine.
Pth printer is a brother hl-w2130 and works perfectly with ubuntu and
virtual machines on two other lenovo laptops.
Is it worth recreating Uubuntu  then adding in the virtual machine aqfer
checking the prointer and scanners work in Ubuntu.  The cups program on
the problem machine does not detect any printers including a networked
samsung CLP-320N. All the other laptops can find and install this printer.

Regards

Peter Goggin