Why do all the sudo? [was Re: Software updater no longer functional]

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Jan 22 18:57:45 UTC 2017

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 18:42:27 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
>Exactly!!!  Having done a 'sudo -i' there's the # prompt there to
>remind you.
>
>For the same reason I hate the alias of rm to 'rm -i' because very
>soon one automatically ignores the extra prompt, it just wastes space
>and time.

We even could enforce more warning colorful prompts, if we should need
this or show the path for one and no path for the other.

Indeed, I type rm -i and rm -Ir and don't use aliases for this.

There's no shared history for admin and user, when not using sudo for
each command.

IMO security is no reason to prefer one over the other, but if security
is used as an argument, than su/sudo -i/-s seems to more security, than
using sudo for each command. However, the big difference in regards to
security is experience and a good work-flow. Accidents will happen and
we need to learn from the accidents that happen.