Why do all the sudo? [was Re: Software updater no longer functional]

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Jan 22 16:47:05 UTC 2017

Chris,

On Sun, 2017-01-22 at 12:37 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> This is a classic case where I wonder why not change:-
>

> > Next steps:
> >
> > sudo apt-get install -f
> >
> >  -- fixes any package errors
> >
> > NOTE THEM DOWN if it doesn't work & tell us
> >
> > sudo apt-get clean
> >
> >  -- empty the package cache
> >
> > sudo apt-get autoremove -y
> >
> >  -- remove obsoleted packages & ones nothing else use
> >
> > sudo touch /forcefsck
> > sudo shutdown -r now
> >

> to:-
>

> > Next steps:
> >
> > sudo -i
> > apt-get install -f
> >
> >  -- fixes any package errors
> >
> > NOTE THEM DOWN if it doesn't work & tell us
> >
> > apt-get clean
> >
> >  -- empty the package cache
> >
> > apt-get autoremove -y
> >
> >  -- remove obsoleted packages & ones nothing else use
> >
> > touch /forcefsck
> > shutdown -r now
> >

> It saves typing!  :-)
>
> This is by no means the worst case, you often see great streams of
> 'sudo this' and 'sudo that' in descriptions of how to do things.

Yep! Couldn't agree more. I use 'sudo -i' a lot! But it's rarely
suggested in any advice or documentation I've seen.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039