How to Force a Wifi Driver to Be Persistent

Peter Silva peter at bsqt.homeip.net
Sat Jan 21 01:08:29 UTC 2017

It would be easier to help if you report what model of intel card you have,
please, from a shell do.
 lspci  | grep -i wireless

You should know that intel is pretty good citizen of open source, and the
drivers from the stock distribution are likely to be pretty good.   I think
downloading a different driver is likely the wrong track.  You may need to
do is research the problem a bit more, and just adjust some settings.  You
indicated that the problem is related to power management.

I googled 'ubuntu 16.04 disable wifi power management', filtering for
answers less than a year old, and got the following:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/269661/how-to-turn-off-wireless-power-management-permanently

It's probably better to try that.

to avoid avoiding answering the question you asked... here is the
continuation of your original questions:

The files in /firmware are binary blobs that are loaded by the drivers into
the various bits of hardware.  There are no drivers at all in /firmware.
It's firmware that goes there.   The clue is in the name of the directory.
  Your consistent misuse of the term makes it hard to understand what you
are doing.

Are you copying firmware into the firmware directory? or drivers?  They are
completely different things, installing a driver has little little or
nothing to do with installing firmware.

see what that spits out.

Assuming you have a newish laptop, the correct driver is probable iwlwifi.
  Instructions for that driver are here:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi/

And in there it does tell you how to install the firmware... the
instructions are:

    Installation of the firmware is simply:
    # cp iwlwifi-*.ucode /lib/firmware
    You can now load the driver....

    and lower in the page it gives pointers as to where to download the
driver from.

You see? firmware is not the driver, and even if you install the firmware,
you still need to install the driver separately.   So are you trying to
upgrade firmware? or the driver, or both?  what instructions are you using,
and we need to know the model of wifi card involved.