Is disk really bad if mkfs.ext4 -c -c reports errors?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Jan 11 15:36:32 UTC 2017

On 17-01-11 06:47 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> I have been reformatting a disk which had a few corrupted files on it
> with the following command:-
>
>      mkfs.ext4 -c -c /dev/sdb1
>
> (Yes, I know this destroys all the data, everything except the few
> corrupted files has been copied off the disk)

It wold help if you can provide a copy of the errors you're getting.  I
would also include the output of smartctl -a /dev/sdb as well as the
last relevant data from dmesg when you get these errors.

(Maybe run a dmesg -c prior to your format or badblocks, run the drive
commands that create errors, then copy everything new in dmesg)