Why installing openjdk-7-jdk on Ubuntu Trusty installs systemd as well?

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 21:03:55 UTC 2017

On 2 January 2017 at 19:03, Yuri Kanivetsky <yuri.kanivetsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, my initial email was not accepted by moderator. Here's the
> output: https://gist.github.com/x-yuri/b37eb8e6f085e9b3c949640b937c063e

That is odd, it does not attempt to install systemd when I run that on
my system (it only wants to install one additional package,
libxt-dev). I notice that there are other updates pending, can you
bring everything else up to date first by running
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

then try
sudo apt install -s openjdk-7-jdk
again.

> By the way, have you seen it? Is trusty switching to systemd?
>
>     http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty-updates/systemd

systemd is available for trusty but I am confident it will not become
the default on 14.04.  That would be a massive change and that sort of
thing does not happen on an existing release.

Colin