SOLVED What just happened with the last Ubuntu update? - UPDATE

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 22:06:03 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 10:08 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> SOLVED:
>
> My Netis WF2116 USB wifi adapter apparently clobbered everything as
> oon as it tried to connect.
>
> Darn.  I liked that thing.  Fortunately I have a Patriot backup that
> works well enough when on top of my monitor (not so well plugged
> directly into the front or back panels down below).
>
> Just another speed bump of many these days....

It turns out this is because the Netis adapter uses the rtl8192 driver
and chip, which doesn't work properly on 1604 without the
rtl8192-fixes update.

I happened to install this as a test for a different wifi that wasn't
working in my other desktop (the one I'm gearing up to sell).  When I
realized what that might mean, I plugged the Netis adapter back in,
and voila - I'm on it and posting this.

Word of warning to anyone with WiFi that uses the rtl8192 chipset -
see here for how to fix this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/551522/netis-wf2120-wifi-adapter-drops-signal-within-seconds/551648#551648

Hope that helps someone else...

MR