Intel® HD Graphics - Was: Cheap mobo that doesn't cause issues with Ubuntu.

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Feb 23 18:18:19 UTC 2017

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 09:51:23 -0700, compdoc wrote:
>On 02/22/2017 12:01 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> there's an annoying flashing line in the upper left corner of the CRT
>> monitor, what ever settings I'm using for the monitor, e.g. even if I
>> zoom in at max. The flashing isn't noticeable for 1152x864 at 90 Hz.
>
>You still own a CRT? 1152x864 seems an odd rez for a crt, and I think
>we always tried to use 72hz to 75hz for best picture.
>
>60hz could be seen to strobe with fluorescent lighting, and settings
>higher than 75hz can heat up the monitor. Ah, the good ole days...
>
>Hope you get it figured out. Does the new system seem pretty fast?

Sometimes there's no choice. The bootloader menu, memtest and live
media, as well as some vintage installs only allow 60 Hz or 70 Hz and
resolutions smaller than 1152x864. More annoying than the stroboscope
effect caused by 60 Hz or 70 Hz is the f...ine flashing Intel HD
Graphics line. Some tasks are faster than for my old mobo, e.g.
compiling a kernel, backups to tar.gz. The hardware allows lowest
latency settings with my professional audio interface as well as with
at least one of my pro-sumer audio interfaces.