Containers with elderly to ancient Linux versions

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 17:01:16 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> I have, or had, a VM somewhere with WordPerfect for Linux running on
>> Ubuntu -- but the last version it works on is Ubuntu 8.04. Having it
>> in a VM works but is not very satisfactory.
>>
>> It occurred to me that an Ubuntu 8.04 container -- LXC, Docker,
>> whatever -- would be a far more elegant way of doing it.
>
> For a similar task I use schroot.

Nils: They aren't really comparable. schroot is a wrapper around
chroot whereas lxc uses chroot but it also leverages other system
features like kernel capabilities, namespaces, and cgroups.

Liam: You'll be better off using a container, resource-wise, if WP
doesn't need an exclusively 8.04 environment. To set up a container
for a GUI app

https://stgraber.org/2014/02/09/lxc-1-0-gui-in-containers/

but Google might give you more recent howtos.