Containers with elderly to ancient Linux versions

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 16 00:00:58 UTC 2017

hi,
On Mi, 2017-02-15 at 21:11 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Liam Proven wrote:
> >
> > On 15 February 2017 at 18:55, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > For a similar task I use schroot - have a look at
> > > <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebootstrapChroot>. And please
> > > note that you need http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu as
> > > archive
> > > for the debootstrap command (instead of
> > > http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/) because hardy is no longer
> > > available in the standard repositories.
> > Interesting -- I had not met that before. Why is it preferable to
> > using, say, LXC, may I ask?
>
> I never played with LXC, but it seems to be a similar approach. For
> me
> it was preferable because it was the first solution I found. As it
> worked, I didn't have to search any further. :)

lxc gives you your own /proc, /dev and /sys (instead of just bind
mounting the host ones) and a large amount of containerization through
namespaces and cgroups, while schroot only gives you a pimped chroot.

they are quite different technologies, lxc is largely a VM without the
extra emulation layer (it is as fast as a chroot but behaves like a
full VM) ;)

ciao
	oli