Cheap mobo that doesn't cause issues with Ubuntu.

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Feb 15 20:58:04 UTC 2017

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 19:45:25 +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
>On 15 February 2017 at 18:40, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> I want a PS/2 socket for the keyboard, because I'm using USB with
>> real-time priority for an audio device. I'm already using an USB
>> mouse and it could cause issues when I'm using my Focusrite Scarlett
>> 18i20 2nd Gen a pro-sumer USB audio interface, instead of my RME
>> HDSP AIO a professional PCIe audio interface.
>
>So, dedicate a USB bus to it. Add a card with a USB2 or USB3
>controller on it. Surely that is much easier?

USB 3 would gain me nothing,
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/208095469-USB-2-0-vs-USB-3-0 .

However, the issue can't be solved by making the used USB port head of
the USB ports. This might help a little bit, but the major issue is,
that you only can assign real-time priority to all USB ports.

I can't comment a PCI or PCIe card to USB, but at least it would share
real-time priority with all the other USB ports and it might cause
additional issue by sharing a quasi split PCIe slot. Again, I can't
comment such USB cards, but I know that several PCIe slots often are
not several slots, they are quasi one split slot.