Cheap mobo that doesn't cause issues with Ubuntu.

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Feb 15 19:05:22 UTC 2017

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 18:05:58 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
>On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 10:06 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>It was maybe 9 years ago that I last built a PC. I chose to use an Asus
>motherboard with an Asus built cheap (~£20) graphics card with an ATI
>chip on it (the nvidia one was unsatisfactory), AMD X2 low energy
>processor and an Earthwatts (Antec?) power supply.

The mobo I'm using now likely is around 10 years old. It's an M2A-VM
HDMI with an onboard ATI graphics, but I also have got a NVIDI. IT
depends to the Linux install what graphics is the better for my
computer usage. The CPU is a

$ sudo hwinfo --cpu | grep Model -A1 | head -2
  Model: 15.107.2 "AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor BE-2350"
  Features:
fpu,vme,de,pse,tsc,msr,pae,mce,cx8,apic,sep,mtrr,pge,mca,cmov,pat,pse36,clflush,mmx,fxsr,sse,sse2,ht,syscall,nx,mmxext,fxsr_opt,rdtscp,lm,3dnowext,3dnow,rep_good,nopl,extd_apicid,eagerfpu,pni,cx16,lahf_lm,cmp_legacy,svm,extapic,cr8_legacy,3dnowprefetch,vmmcall,lbrv

It's a 2.1GHz. I like it because I don't need a faster CPU and because
it only need 45 W. The only issue with this CPU is, that some
proprietary Linux music software needs more than just sse2.

Actually the reason that I now need a new computer is, that I don't
trust the mobo and the PSU anymore. I won't start repairing, because it
will start with a capacitor and end with a fans or something else, in
the end a capacitor, fan, controller are less expensive, but you never
know what will break next and especially at what time it will happen. I
want to make music without fearing issues related to aged hardware.

Regards,
Ralf