Virtual Box on Ubuntu 16.04

Peter petergoggin at bigpond.com
Fri Feb 3 01:52:22 UTC 2017

On 30/01/17 13:19, compdoc wrote:
> On 01/29/2017 07:01 PM, Peter wrote:
>
>> I have a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04.  I installed the Virtual box
>> 5.1.14software from the Otaclke site
>
> virtualbox is available from the ubuntu repos. Just the command:
>
> sudo apt install virtualbox
>
> when the package is installed this way, many things like ownership and
> permissions and other necessary packages, are installed correctly for
> you. Including proper integration into your desktop.
>
> Sometimes the version isnt the newest, (and sometimes it is) but at
> least its been tested by everyone who uses it.

I did a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04.  I loaded vbox from the
repository. This is version 5.0.32.
I downloaded and installed the extension pack for 5.0.32. I added the
user to vbox users.  I loaded my xp virtual machine from backups.  In
settings it showed the three usb devices that it had used when it last
ran correctly. (a scanner and two printers). I started the XP virtual
machine. No usb devices are available. However all of the XP software
works correctly e.. winbmd, FamilyTree, Scrapbook. However I cannot
print anything.

All of the instances of virtual box which allow me to use USB devices
were created when I was running 14.04. I then upgraded the ubuntu
software to 16.04 and I could still see usb devices in the virtual
machines. The machine with which I am having problems has only ever had
16.04 installed. It is a spare machine and has only been brought into
service to replace a machine with a defective cooling fan.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem welcome.  The obvious one is
to fix the fan in the defective box. This does not address the problem
on how to get VirtualBox working in ubuntu 16.04.  Do other linux
distributions have the same problems?

Regards

Peter Goggin