Disable touchpad (was: Re: switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..))

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 13:06:31 UTC 2017

On 28 December 2017 at 12:29, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> The advice I gave was NOT relating to any specific hardware, though
> obviously the examples I gave referenced the specific hardware the
> example commands were run on.
>
> It was a generic procedure that should work on pretty much all mouse-
> like hardware. If it does not, that is in itself an interesting fact.
>
> Not only that, the procedure identifies the hardware they have - or at
> least, the hardware Linux thinks they have.
>
> So I think it was completely appropriate for me to offer that advice,
> and I have no idea why you thought it was necessary to "tread
> carefully" with it.

Karl. I am _not_ trying to give you a hard time here.

But listen, seriously, I have worked in tech support since 1988. You
_cannot_ take anything for granted, up to and including users checking
that the computer is plugged in *and* turned on. You even need to
check that there is not a power cut and they have not realised that
will stop their computer working.

But to say so that clearly upsets people. It may well upset Robert and
Peter now, but you have forced me to spell it out. I hope I have not
upset them!

An example that is specific to 1 type of hardware, and which would
need adjustment for other types of hardware, is not good because what
is a very obvious change to one person is a line of mystic magical
incantation in a mix of Chinese and Ancient Greek to another.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com