Disable touchpad (was: Re: switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..))

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 11:13:59 UTC 2017

On 27 December 2017 at 12:06, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> I was responding to the question "how do I turn it off". I provided two
> ways - use the settings app, which has an actual switch that turns the
> touchpad off, or use xinput. The procedure for using xinput includes
> identifying the device.
>
> If there is a driver problem, maybe none of the above will work, but
> they can at least be attempted.

Yes, I know that.

I was not saying you're wrong or your info is incorrect.

But what you're describing is info for an ALPS trackpad. It won't work
for a Synaptics one.

And if they have neither an Alps not Synaptic (or whatever) driver
installed, then maybe they won't need to turn it off if they just
install the correct driver and can then adjust the sensitivity. Do you
see what I mean?

But they can't install the right driver, and we can't tell them what
to do, unless we know what hardware they have. Lots of companies make
trackpads.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com