video card for new computer

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 00:05:09 UTC 2017

So it has been a while since anyone spoke to the actual question posed -
does anyone have anything useful for the OP?

In my experience Nvidia cards perform well in Ubuntu using the proprietary
drivers, with the caveat that they don't support them forever so you might
find yourself on a legacy driver which means it will still work, but
without some of the bells and whistles.

I haven't used an ATI video card since I was using Fedora Core 1.

I use a lot of intel onboard graphics on many laptops - they always work
great for my needs.

I would point out though, that all of those video cards seemed to be built
for specific purposes, not everyday desktop use:
* Firepro - designer workstations (CAD, digital design, etc)
* Quadro - designer workstations (CAD, digital design, etc)
* NVS range - multiple displays (commercial graphic displays)

I think you might be looking at a desktop that is specifically designed for
a particular purpose rather than a normal home user's desktop. If that's on
purpose than you might be best asking some people who are using it for a
similar reason. Most of the feedback received from this list will only
apply to the Nvidia/ATI desktop range, which are completely different from
what you're asking about.

Regards,

Jared