video card for new computer

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 19:32:12 UTC 2017

On 15 December 2017 at 18:14, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:

> But, they merged CPU and GPU which I think is a very bad idea because it is
> only useful for video acceleration and not for gaming, because any APU is
> not good enough

Speak for yourself. For the very occasional level of gaming I do,
onboard GPUs are more than enough. I have several games on this Mac
and I play them using my on-CPU graphics, because I have no GPU and no
way of adding one... which is fine, because I don't want or need one.

It plays Portal & Portal 2, the only games I've played in years.

> and it takes out the fun of buying a graphics card,

Fun? O_o

> and you
> now cannot upgrade your CPU without your GPU and vice versa.

That's not true.

You can add a graphics card, or even multiple ones, and the on-board
GPU just gets disabled.

So such machines are every bit as upgradable as those with no GPU.

> I thought motherboard GPU was a much better solution.

Then you can't upgrade it at all, ever. You can _replace_ it with a
separate card, but not take it out and put a better one.

> I avoid APUs.

Honestly, after the Intel management code debacle, I am considering an
AMD for next time.

> Also I didn't like the merger of AMD and ATI and they also still operate as
> separate teams with separate cultures.

Mostly, agreed.

> So, for me that day meant that I grew less fond of ATI graphics cards....
> (AMD now).

Don't care about that.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com