video card for new computer

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at mtneva.com
Fri Dec 15 07:18:48 UTC 2017

On 12/14/2017 01:43 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 01:05:13 -0700, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>> Are Nvidia cards easier to deal with in general than
>> AMD, or visa versa?
>
> Consider to stay with Intel.
>
> However, there's an ATI issue
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst#Xorg_repositories and
> if there should be an upgrade available, working with xorg of your
> choice, than your ATI card might not be supported anymore. In my
> experiences NVIDIA doesn't drop older cards. Using the FLOSS driver for
> ATI and NVIDIA - I often had no other choice than using the FLOSS
> driver - 3D desktop environments might not work. Rt-patched kernels at
> least caused issues in the past, when using NVIDIA graphics, let alone
> that AMD CPUs also could cause issues with patched kernels.
>
> I migrated from AMD CPUs with ATI and NVIDI cards to an Intel CPU with
> an Intel graphics.

Thank you Ralf and Xen, that was really useful info.

I think I will take your advice and stick with Intel graphics for now
and look for a machine that supports it.  Actually I spent all day doing
just that and have a couple options that I like as well or better than
my original choice :-)

In the unlikely event I become a hard core gamer in the future I'll
worry about getting some high performance graphics then...