video card for new computer

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at mtneva.com
Thu Dec 14 08:05:13 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I am looking at buying a replacement for my 10-year old desktop

computer.  In the past I have had machines with integrated Intel

graphics and never had any problems.  The new machine I am thinking

of (HP Z440 workstation) seems to offer only a separate video

card, either Nvidia or AMD Firepro as options.  I read there is
a choice (at least for some, all?) of the nvidia cards between
proprietary and OSS drivers but I'm not sure about the tradeoffs.
However, I have frequently seen posts with subjects like "after
the last kernel upgrade I have a black screen".  I am looking
for advice as to what to choose that will provide the greatest
likelihood of drama-free operation and upgrades.  Here are
the options (some are probably out of my price range):

  FirePro W2100, W4300, W5100, W7100

  Nvidia Quadro K420, K620, K1200, K2200, K4200, K4200SD1,

    M2000, M4000, M4000SD1, P1000

  Nvidia NVS 310, 315, 510

Are there any of these cards I should stay away from?  Any that
are particularly known to be trouble free (ie works well with no
extra software installs or software easily available and easily
installed)?  Are Nvidia cards easier to deal with in general than
AMD, or visa versa?

My primary desire is no hassles, performance is second but not
irrelevant.
  (Xubuntu-17.10 if it matters)

Thanks for any advice!