Cannot run python3 scripts any more

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Dec 13 16:02:49 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Tue, 2017-12-12 at 22:10 -0600, C de-Avillez wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 22:50:47 +0000
> Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I've now re-installed my system, but apt is still suggesting to
> > autoremove the package 'python3-dbus.mainloop.qt'.
> >
> > Does anyone know, or can tell me how to find out, if this package
> > is
> > needed in Artful, or is this a dependency bug?
>
> I am not sure about Artful, since I am running Bionic. But you can do
> the same as below to find out all dependecies (and reverse deps):
>
> [cerdea-aws]:/data/buildd$ apt-cache depends python3-dbus.mainloop.qt
> python3-dbus.mainloop.qt
>   Depends: python3-dbus
>   Depends: python3
>   Depends: python3
>   Depends: <python3:any>
>     python3:i386
>     python3
>   Depends: libc6
>   Depends: libdbus-1-3
>   Depends: libgcc1
>   Depends: libqtcore4
>   Depends: libstdc++6
> [cerdea-aws]:/data/buildd$ apt-cache rdepends python3-
> dbus.mainloop.qt
> python3-dbus.mainloop.qt
> Reverse Depends:
>   python3-dbus.mainloop.qt-dbg
>   scolasync
>   backintime-qt4
>   python3-autopilot-vis
>   python3-autopilot-tests
> [cerdea-aws]:/data/buildd$
>
> So, at least in Bionic, the only packages affected by removing
> dbus.mainloop.qt would be (as of now) scolasync, backintime-qt4,
> python3-autopilot-vis and python3-autopilot-tests.

Thanks. It looks the same on Artful. I did have backintim-qt4 installed
which I removed recently. That explains why apt wants to autoremove it.

What I don't understand is when it was removed, there were several
applications that stopped working, with 'segmentation fault'. Even one
of my own that uses PyQt5!

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | Desk 51, Office 2, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039