How to coordinate the clock when dual-booting with Windows

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 04:35:56 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 6:41 PM, J. L. <jl.ffm at gmx.net> wrote:

> [...]
> >     "1"="time.windows.com <http://time.windows.com>"
> >     "2"="129.6.15.29 <http://129.6.15.29>"
> >     "3"="0.uk.pool.ntp.org <http://0.uk.pool.ntp.org>"
> >     "4"="1.uk.pool.ntp.org <http://1.uk.pool.ntp.org>"
> >     "6"="ntp2b.mcc.ac.uk <http://ntp2b.mcc.ac.uk>"
> >     "5"="ntp2a.mcc.ac.uk <http://ntp2a.mcc.ac.uk>"
> >     "7"="ntp2c.mcc.ac.uk <http://ntp2c.mcc.ac.uk>"
> >     "8"="ntp2d.mcc.ac.uk <http://ntp2d.mcc.ac.uk>"
> >     "9"="ntp.exnet.com <http://ntp.exnet.com>"
> >
> >     the chosen NTP server does propagate to other Reg entries
> >
> >     but you can manually add direct in the dialogue if you don't want to
> >     delve in
> >     Registry
> >

> > This is interesting, but I'm uncertain how to use it.  I found the list
> > of servers in the registry.  I didn't put them there, but there are 5,
> > and number 5 appears as the default.  It is time-b.nist.gov
> > <http://time-b.nist.gov> which I sure hope is not unreliable.  However,
> > I still get Windows showing the time off by 8 hours when it boots up,
> > and I'm supposing that's because it is using the time in the BIOS DRAM,
> > but I'm unsure because as near as I can tell the BIOS is set to local
> > time; at least that's what I see when I'm in BIOS setup.  Frankly I'm
> > all confused.
> >
> > It would be nice if Windows would use nist.gov <http://nist.gov> and
> > apply the timezone, ignoring BIOS completely.
> >
> > --
> > Kevin O'Gorman
> > #define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */
> >
> >       Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>

> Hi!
>
> Could it be that You did not even think of trying to use a search engine
> for your problem?
>
> So, i'm a nice guy and did just one little search [coordinate time dual
> boot system windows linux] and will paste You _some_ not even all of the
> links i found obviously quite fitting to Your question:
>
> http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2016/05/time-differences-ubuntu-1604-
> windows-10/
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/800914/clock-shows-
> wrong-time-after-switching-from-ubuntu-to-windows-10
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/169376/clock-time-is-off-on-dual-boot
>
> http://www.webupd8.org/2014/09/dual-boot-fix-time-differences-between.html
>
> https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/30/fixing-incorrect-clock-
> time-settings-while-dual-booting-windowslinux/
>
> https://lifehacker.com/5742148/fix-windows-clock-
> issues-when-dual-booting-with-os-x
>
> https://www.howtogeek.com/211144/how-to-get-windows-and-
> linux-clocks-to-display-the-correct-and-matching-time-dual-boot/
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqre5fRo704
>
> https://techlr.de/dual-boot-windows-10-und-linux-falsche-uhrzeit/
>

> I'm pretty sure the information You asked for is hidden somewhere in
> these links ...! ;-)
>
> Hope i did You a little favor!
>
> Good luck!
>
> J. L.
>
> Not as much of a favor, as we'd both like.

Ignoring the snarkiness of the tone, yours is of course a reasonable
suggestion.  But may I emphasize your own use of the word "hidden".  And
the fact that I or even "we" may have already done that and wound up with a
different experience than the articles claim.

Of course, if you had read and understood our conversation you would have
noticed that.

Just taking the first article.  I tried it's use of timedatectl.  It didn't
help, even though the properties match those reported in the article.

And so on, perhaps.  I choose not to wade through a bunch of unverified
suggestions and to hope that cooperating individuals can bring out each
others' best thinking and arrive at a solution.
And perhaps even a better understanding of the underlying techology.
Sometimes it even works.  Not in this case, at least so far.

I may get desperate and look further into your list.  Anyway, thanks for
trying.