How to coordinate the clock when dual-booting with Windows

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 19:45:39 UTC 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 11:23 PM, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> 10 December 2017  at 20:41, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Re: How to coordinate the clock whe (at least in part)
>
> >On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <
> >ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> >> 10 December 2017  at 15:52, Colin Law wrote:
> >> Re: How to coordinate the clock whe (at least in part)

> >> UTC,
> re-sync
> ran.
>
> >> Its on a tab in date/time that not many people visit, default is off
>
> >> That's what I was hoping, but I cannot find anything about NTP in my
> >Windows 10.
>
> Must admit I was unsure if the same controls carry forward to later
> windoz, (I
> stopped at Win7) it looks like they do
>
> https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/2-ways-to-change-
> date-and-time-on-windows-1
> 0.html
>
> only difference appears that you only see the internet time when you click
> "Change date time"
>
> here it (now) has a number of possible time server, IIRC it came with only
> two
> (unreliable), the rest I added later
>
> there is a reg entry
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\
> Servers]
> @="3"
> "1"="time.windows.com"
> "2"="129.6.15.29"
> "3"="0.uk.pool.ntp.org"
> "4"="1.uk.pool.ntp.org"
> "6"="ntp2b.mcc.ac.uk"
> "5"="ntp2a.mcc.ac.uk"
> "7"="ntp2c.mcc.ac.uk"
> "8"="ntp2d.mcc.ac.uk"
> "9"="ntp.exnet.com"
>
> the chosen NTP server does propagate to other Reg entries
>
> but you can manually add direct in the dialogue if you don't want to delve
> in
> Registry
>

> This is interesting, but I'm uncertain how to use it.  I found the list of
servers in the registry.  I didn't put them there, but there are 5, and
number 5 appears as the default.  It is time-b.nist.gov which I sure hope
is not unreliable.  However, I still get Windows showing the time off by 8
hours when it boots up, and I'm supposing that's because it is using the
time in the BIOS DRAM, but I'm unsure because as near as I can tell the
BIOS is set to local time; at least that's what I see when I'm in BIOS
setup.  Frankly I'm all confused.

It would be nice if Windows would use nist.gov and apply the timezone,
ignoring BIOS completely.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */