How to coordinate the clock when dual-booting with Windows

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 04:41:07 UTC 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> 10 December 2017  at 15:52, Colin Law wrote:
> Re: How to coordinate the clock whe (at least in part)

> >> It bally well is for me!
> >>
> >> E.g. if it's set to local time, both OSes move the system clock
> >> forward or backwards when daylight savings times begins or ends,
> >> resulting in a 2h discrepancy.
> >>
> >> My solution: minimize use of Windows. I boot it a couple of times a
> >> year, if that, normally.
> >>

> >Interesting, I have never seen that. I assumed the system clock was in
> UTC,
> >and so would not change with DST.  You may be right about that though, I
> >have no evidence either way. However I would have thought it would re-sync
> >the next time ntpdate or whatever it is that does the auto timesync ran.
>
> Its on a tab in date/time that not many people visit, default is off
>

> That's what I was hoping, but I cannot find anything about NTP in my
Windows 10.

Moreover, my laptop's BIOS is reporting local time, and Xubuntu agrees with
it, which is also a surprise.

Windows' time is 8 hours early, just as if it thought the BIOS time was UTC
and Windows was correcting to local.  This disagrees with what I was
expecting.  I'm not thoroughly baffled.  And as the OP here, I sure wish
folks would stop chattering about relativity, personal preferences, and the
philosophy of time and just help me get my settings right.  If you don't
know how, leave space for those who do.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */