How to coordinate the clock when dual-booting with Windows

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sun Dec 10 20:56:55 UTC 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com>
wrote:

> Fortunately "How to coordinate the clock when dual-booting with
> Windows" doesn't require idiotic fantasies based on sciolism gained
> from dumb TV reports about GTR and STR.

I rather think you are talking about me and not Peter.

But I think that in the end these are pretty fundamental issues,
particularly if you are going to paint the other choice as "crap" or
something similar.

Maybe it sounds trivial, but it currently inspires:

- the push in IPv6 / IP in general to do away with enclosed modular
networking (ie. NAT)

Many arguments of which are based on the "perfect sysadmin fallacy"
which implies that against all odds, the perfect sysadmin will still
perfectly configure a complicated system (ie. IPv6) and that any
subsequent security holes (even if they are many and prevalent) are just
the result of human incompetence (rather than a design that increases
the likelihood of mistakes).

To me modular (and relative addressing) versus "global scale" (and
absolute addressing) is a very significant topic which also (hence)
deals with DNS versus distributed DNS, and so on.

Linux in particular has never given any importance to proper _scoping_.

So it is not surprising to me that Linux people, who have a filesystem
without any sense of scoping whatsoever, and barely any "filtering" to
ensure users are not inundated with information,

would be strong proponents for "rational" "global" adressing mechanics.

This is relevant for:

- encapsulation in the FHS
- IPv6
- timekeeping

and so on.

The "push for uniformity" also defeats diversity and decentralisation.

"Common standards" in Linux often amount to "only one way of doing
things".

Gone is the era of building blocks.

I think that if you have no sympathy towards:
- a personal private network with private domains
- time kept in your own locality
- internal addresses that are not publicly routable
- a modular architecture where one solution may be replaced with another
- security by obscurity

Then I think you have lost touch with an important part of yourself that
is vital to designing good software.

Because, even though people are going to deny it, what software also
needs is "right brain" sensibility, and not just "left brain logic".

Of course "right brain" people are generally missing from Linux.

For example, one of the Unix principles is said to be:

"Rule of Economy: Programmer time is expensive; conserve it in
preference to machine time."

And yet shell scripting advocates often denounce "easy to read" in
favour of "fast to execute".

If anything, human resources are routinely wasted because of shabby
interfaces because they "ought to be good enough" (but they are only
good enough for a machine).

The paradox is that if you don't "waste" your time on improving
interfaces, you waste a lot more time in the long run.

Time invested in right-brain stuff pays off.