How to coordinate the clock when dual-booting with Windows

Peter Silva peter at bsqt.homeip.net
Sun Dec 10 19:43:45 UTC 2017

There is nothing special about UTC, any more than there is anything
special about Greenwich, or Earth. One just needs to select a known
reference in order to compare times in different frames.  This is the
entire reason the metric system was invented.  When every local area
could have it's own units of measure, commerce over large distances
was difficult because amounts of anything were very difficult to
compare. It is the normal and general solution for everyone to agree
on a standard unit, folks convert from their locally convenient unit
to the reference and vice versa.

Without that sort of convention, how would you suggest to arrange a
meeting of 10 spacecraft initially travelling at different velocities
in different directions at a given location, velocity and direction,
at a given time?  They need to agree on a common measure of time, and
it doesn't matter what it is, but it has to be common.  To do anything
else would do extreme violence to Ockam's razor.